R&D Food Scientist
Salary CNY150000 - CNY180000 per annum
Consultant Lavency Zhu
Date posted 30 March 2018No.1539 West Nanjing Road Shanghai 200040 Robert Walters China
The Food Scientist NPD – is a member within the Research & Development Team and is responsible for:New Product Development (NPD): Develop new products through preparation and/or lab analysis of raw ingredients, new products concepts, product enhancements and cost reductions. Ensures valid cooking instructions prior to product launches and creates/updates specifications. Project Management : Liaises with and takes a leading role in project teams.
Formulate and develop NPD from ideation to implementation across categories.
- Evaluate raw materials and functional ingredients for suitability and quality for use in new and/or existing products and processes
- Use basic principles to design projects covering the planning and preparation of all trials and the collection and processing of data (including Scientific, Sensory, Consumer and Nutritional) to ultimately develop specifications and recommendations
- Understand product development costs to launch a product including; pilot plant trial (PST), sensory and analytical cost;
- Understand how changes in product, process and packaging affect business financials.
- Prepare relevant documentation such as recipes, specifications and product instructions for new products and/or alterations to existing products
- Assist the process of conducting shelf life and stability studies on products
- Conduct routine final product physical evaluations and bench-marking activities
- Proactively build relationships with team members in the Innovation team, across other business functions and with external vendors to drive best in class Innovation.
- Participate in continuous improvement & innovation activities as required.
- Promote Safety, Quality and Process within the business
- Broad knowledge of food science & technologies
- Sound knowledge of flavour development
- Broad knowledge of product development processes
- Extensive technical knowledge frozen product manufacturing processes
- Strong Project management skills in relation to all product development
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing)
- Strong logical thinking skills with a capacity for innovation, and lab skills
- High level of competency in computer-based communication and information management tools (MS Project, MS Word, MS Excel, SAP etc.)
- Min 3 years’ experience in the development of food products including concept development, laboratory trials and production trials
- Experience in ingredient functionality and evaluation of raw materials related to food
- A Bachelor Degree in Food Technology / Science is essential.
- Minimum 3 years experience in related field.