It’s time for the second interview, and they’ve asked you to present - but how do you show what you know without sending people to sleep with your slides? We provide some top tips to ensure success.
The phenomenon of ‘death by PowerPoint’, or subpar use of presentation software, is one of those things that we all agree is a bad thing. However, when interview nerves strike, it can be all too easy to hide behind our presentation decks. The result is usually some unpalatable combination of too many slides, tiny fonts and unimaginative imagery.
In the course of our daily work, where decks are produced often and on short notice, some of these excesses may be forgivable. But at an important job interview, where you need to perform at your very best, your presentation needs to be up to the mark too. We outline some top tips on slide design and presenting at interviews.
This is as much about how you fit with them as them fitting with you. Think of your presentation as one half of a conversation that you will lead, rather than a monologue where you will bludgeon them with facts and statistics. You need to take your listeners with you, get them participating in the argument or story you are developing.
Of course, you want to create some impact and gain attention, but that needs to be backed up by substance. So, aim for 20% of your slides and talk to be thought-provoking and challenging, and the remaining 80% to be insightful or informative. Keep this balance all the way through so your audience keeps listening and is then rewarded for their attention with new knowledge. Remember that it’s only when people are listening that they can gain any understanding.
True simplicity comes from real intelligence. It takes a lot of work to craft a simple idea – a lot of time thinking about what to leave out, and how to distil everything down to one great point or example rather than an under-confident handful. Use your imagination - no one wants to see another light bulb representing creative thinking!
A good slide should work on the principle of ‘glance technology’. Essentially, you want your listener to glance, get interested, and then move to you, the speaker, for greater depth.
When it comes to slides, think ‘1 slide = 1 message’. This will give you greater control over the subject, and you can stay on each slide as little or as long as you like. It’s also important to remember that not every point needs to be backed up with a slide.
You’d be annoyed if the last chapter of the book you were reading was revealed on page three. This is why bullet points often hinder rather than help – your audience reads on and gets to the punchline ahead of you. Your slides should leave your listener wanting more.
The recent PowerPoint addition of the new transition tool Morph is a game changer. Morph allows you to move and enlarge, shapes, pictures and text with one simple movement. What used to take hours now takes minutes, making your slides look like the work of the marketing team. Take care not to overdo it – your slides should enhance your presentation, not distract from it.
12 things to do now to get ready for a new job
You’ve decided to make a move, so what are you waiting for? Even before you land your first interview, there are loads of things you can be doing to help you prepare for a change of jobs. Check out this job switch checklist for more. Although coming to the decision that you’re ready to change jobs iRead More
How to master these 7 common interview questions
While no two job interviews are exactly the same, there are some questions that are very popular among employers when screening potential candidates. By preparing confident answers to some of the more common interview questions, you can give yourself the edge over other potential candidates. 1. WherRead More
What questions should you ask your interviewer?
Interviews are a two way street so it’s important to be prepared and ready to ask questions when you meet your prospective employer. It’s a way for you to not only show interest for the role you are applying for, but also a great way to find out whether you actually want to work for a certain organiRead More
Come join our global team of creative thinkers, problem solvers and game changers. We offer accelerated career progression, a dynamic culture and expert training.